What are chances of lung cancer when suffering from asbestosis?
User rating for this question
I have been diagnoised with asbestosis . contacted asbestos approx 40 years ago. xrays show damaged lungs. what are chances of lung cancer?
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes,there are chances of lung cancer. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to HCM Long term exposure of asbestos may cause deleterious effects to the lungs.Asbestos fibers can trigger the development of lung cancer and mesothelioma. Duration and concentration of asbestos exposure plays important role in the risk of developing lung cancer. It has been found that the higher the concentration of asbestos fibers,the higher the risk of lung cancer. Level of risk also depend on person's health,genetics,smoking habit. It can take 15 and 35 years to develop cancer.Latency period is affected by the level of asbestos exposure and co-carcinogens such as cigarettes. There are two primary forms of asbestos related lung cancer:small cell lung cancer and non-small cell lung cancer. Proper treatment depend upon cancer type. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
People also viewed
- Is it safe to take i pill if im 16 year old
- Is it dangerous to swallow thermometer mercury
- What is the chance of lung cancer survival
- What are chances of lung cancer when suffering from asbestosis
- What are my chances of getting lung cancer at 29
- Is eating chicken bad for getting pregnant
- Chances of lung cancer at 31
- Why am i always congested in head and chest
- Suggest treatment for chest infection and cough
- What causes pain at right side corner where skull ends
- How to get rid of phlegm and cough causing choking
- Is idli a prebiotic or probiotic
- What medicine will be given to remove blebs on lung
- What are the symptoms of lung cancer?
- Is it bad to take a shower during period