What are chances of STD after having protected sex?

Hello Doctor I had protected oral and vaginal intercourse with a sex worker in continental Europe. I did not feel any condom tear but did not check it after the incident. I have been worried about STDs ever since. I had a sore throat and runny nose starting 4 days after the incident. This is something I get often (one in two months) due to allergies. This lasted 2 weeks. It went away on taking anti- allergy medication. 3-4 times, when I pass large stools, I see small spots of bright red bleeding on the tissue paper. I am worried that this maybe due to an STD. I have not had fever or rashes or any visible symptoms other than this rectal bleeding. It is now almost 6 weeks since the exposure. I want to get a complete STD test done to alleviate my concerns. I want to test for HIV, herpes, gonorrhea, chlamydia, HPV and syphilis 3 months after the exposure. Can you let me know what tests I should take for these and which diagnostic lab around MG Road, Bangalore offers these? Also, is there any other STD test I should take?
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: std panel Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX You were protected during intercourse, so chances of getting any std are slim. Your symptoms of rectal bleeding is unlikely to be related to your sexual exposure due to stds. Its more likely due to anal fissure, hemorrhoids or stool infection. You should have a stool examination to rule out parasitic infection. If you anyway, want a std panel done then you can definitely go ahead. You can just ask for the tests you have mentioned above. Along with that, add Hep B test. Any symptoms with regard to the stds, should show up within 2 weeks to 4 weeks. Any lab like Ranbaxy, or Reddy's or LAL Pathlabs will do these tests.
Follow-up: What are chances of STD after having protected sex? 26 minutes later
Dr XXXXXXX Can you please inform me what the names of the tests are (like ELISA for HIV)? The diagnostic centres I've called ask for specific test names. Can you mention the right test to take for HIV, herpes, gonorrhea, chlamydia, HPV, Hepatitis B and syphilis ?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: TESTS Detailed Answer: ELISA for HIV HbsAg for Hep B vDRL for syphilis Herpes is a clinical diagnosis and its better to test the blister fluid. However, test for HSV-2 serology N.Gonorrhoeae for gonorrhea. Again its better to test discharge or urine. For chlamydia, again the urethral discharge is tested. C.Trachomatis is tested by mnoclonal antibody test or cell culture Again, i stress, except for HIV/Hep B (which are blood tests) the rest should be tested from the urethral discharge(if any) for accurate results.
Follow-up: What are chances of STD after having protected sex? 19 minutes later
Doctor I don't have any urethral discharge. I am still unclear on the tests for syphilis, chlamydia, gonorrhea and herpes (I don't have any blisters to test). Can you please name them so that I can take it to a diagnostic centre? One additional information- I have been getting a few mouth ulcers. Could that be connected to any of this? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Asymptomatic Detailed Answer: Mr XXXXXXX you dont have any symptoms. Thats the whole point. Most of these tests should be done when symptoms like urethral discharge is present. Then that urethral discharge is to be tested. Gonorrhea, chlamydia, herpes and even syphilis are tested this way. The presence of the causative bacteria is tested(which is have named).Only HIV and Hep B are to be tested via blood test. Any can be done anytime. I have named the bacteria to be tested these infections. The mouth ulcers may or may not be related. Vitamin deficiency often causes mouth ulcers. Take a vitamin supplement, add vitamin C in your diet, and use Hexadine mouth wash twice a day. If the ulcers dont disappear you should see a dental doctor to rule out other causes.