What are all the steps we need to take after delayed period?

Question
Hi, My wife's period delayed by a week. 02/11/2013 is the starting date of her last period. This seems like a pregnancy state. Pls explain am i right? and what are all the steps we need to take from here on? Do's and Dont's related to food and others. Pls guide us.
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Please confirm through test and sonogram. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Firstly, please get a pregnancy test done either at home or in the lab. For a home pregnancy test, the fresh early morning sample is preferred. You can also get the serum beta-hCG titres estimated and this is a better confirmatory method. As she is one week overdue, if she has regular 28-30 day cycles, you can also get a trans-vaginal sonogram at this stage and this gives you a good idea of the situation. After confirming pregnancy and the gestational age, please see a gynecologist for regular follow up. Your wife would need some initial parameters like hemoglobin levels, routine urinalysis and blood sugar apart from tests which are routinely done now-a-days like HBv etc. She may have some early pregnancy symptoms like tiredness, sleepiness, nausea, vomiting, hypersensitivity to certain smells and tastes, increased frequency of micturition, sometimes cramping or dragging sensation in the abdomen etc. As far as rest is concerned, if she does not have any other complication, she can carry on with daily activities taking caution not to exert herself unnecessarily and weight lifting and exertion is to be avoided. Intercourse should be avoided during early pregnancy as it puts pressure on the growing uterus and also during the last trimester of pregnancy. Travel is preferably avoided and if it is a must, train journey or by car is better. If morning sickness is excessive, she may be prescribed medication. She should increase intake of solids then and avoid taking liquids on empty stomach and avoid disturbing situations. Foods that are to be avoided include papaya and sesame. She can take all seasonal fruits if blood sugar is normal along with plenty of fresh vegetables. Constipation is to be avoided. Avoid foods which are difficult to digest and oily, deep-fried and highly spicy. Encourage intake of milk and milk products. Dry fruits are a good choice, especially pista. Hope I have answered your query. Please contact if you need any more information. Please put up with me if there is any delay in answering as I may be out of station from today for a few days. I will try to make contact as soon as possible. regards, Shanti.V.

Follow-up: What are all the steps we need to take after delayed period? 2 hours later
Thanks Doctor, I will get back to you for further queries.. Thanks

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please contact. Detailed Answer: Hello, Please contact for any more queries. I will get back as early as possible. Best wishes, Shanti.V.

Follow-up: What are all the steps we need to take after delayed period? 10 hours later
Doctor, Its a happy moment to share that today's Pregnancy test for my wife is positive. Her last period started on 2nd November 2013. So its her 5th week right? If its right what will be your valuable guidance for her in terms of food/travel/work and other precautions. She is feeling tired, sleepy and she had back/hip pain. She is working as a accounts specialist in a company. At this time we need to take Folic acid, vitamins and proteins right. Please guide us if you can recommend some tablets or other supplements? Thanks in advance.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Please get a trans-vaginal sonogram also. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing back. Congratulations. It indeed should be a 5 weeks pregnancy, but please confirm the exact status of pregnancy through a trans-vaginal sonogram as this gives you the position and the age of the gestational sac. As I have already mentioned you need to see a gynecologist for further support. She would need vitamin supplements and good nourishment. She can travel as mentioned earlier if there is no other problem. You need to get advice from the consultant regarding the hip pain. I think it should be the normal situation observed in early pregnancy. Please follow the instructions I have already given. Please contact if you need anymore information. I'll try to get back as early as possible. Regards, Shanti.V

Follow-up: What are all the steps we need to take after delayed period? 8 hours later
Thanks Doctor, Can you pls advice some vitamin and protein supplements thanks.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Folic Acid, B-Complex and protein powders Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing back. Your wife maybe given folic acid, B-complex and protein powders(to be used with milk). She can also be given fresh fruits, green vegetables, nuts and dry fruits(if she doesn't have any allergies). Calcium will be supplemented later along with iron. Please ensure that she takes adequate liquids. Hope your queries are answered.Please contact if you need anymore information. Regards, Shanti.V