Ask a Urologist   »  

What antibiotic should I take for painful urination with blood?

i think im having uti for the first time- i had burning sensation at the end of my urination 2 days ago and now i saw some blood on it. i dont have a pcp yet-- i need your help so i can get proper antibiotic prescription
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 35 minutes later

Yes, your symptoms could be due to UTI. But before you start on any treatment you will have to confirm the diagnosis with urine routine, culture and sensitivity test.

Once the diagnosis is confirmed you would be asked to take antibiotics like Norfloxacin along with Urine alkalizers.

Till then the following should help:
1. Drink plenty of water atleast 3-4 liters per day
2. Maintain local hygiene
3. Treatment of partner if required

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.