What antacid medicine can I take for heart burn after tonsillectomy and septoplasty?

May 2014

what antacid medicine can intake following a tonsillectomy and septoplasy? ibam having terrible heartburn.
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. If your heart burn is severe, I suggest you include few lifestyle modifications for some days along with medications. Lifestyle changes that can decrease the heart burn are the following: 1. Avoiding alcohol, chocolate, citrus juice, and tomato-based products 2. Avoiding large meals 3. Waiting 3 hours after a meal before lying down 4. Elevating the head of the bed 8 inches Concerning medications, you may choose one of the following: 1. H2 receptor antagonists are the first-line agents for patients with mild to moderate heart burn. You may take either ranitidine (Zantac), cimetidine (Tagamet), famotidine (Pepcid), and nizatidine (Axid), at least 30 minutes before food. 2. Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) decrease gastric acid formation. These agents are used in cases of severe heartburn which do not respond to H2 receptor antagonist therapy. These are omeprazole (Prilosec), lansoprazole (Prevacid), rabeprazole (Aciphex), and esomeprazole (Nexium). These too must be taken at least 30 minutes before food. For appropriate dosage please see guidelines or ask your doctor/ pharmacist. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek