What and how do I eat to get rid of numb toes?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
What and How do I eat to get rid of numb toes?
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Meat and fish XXXXXXX source of VIT B12

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us,

I have read your query and I would advise the following:

The abnormal sensations that you have such as numbness, tingling are termed peripheral neuropathy. Peripheral Neuropathy is a condition caused by damage to the peripheral nervous system [most commonly seen in diabetic patients]. Another possibility could be nerve compression in spine due to disc bulge.
Change your diet and remove inflammatory foods such as citrus fruits, dairy products and wheat that may aggravate the condition. Simultaneously increase your intake of potassium and calcium-rich foods such as bananas and avocados and green leafy vegetables
Ingredients like chromium, vanadium, pectin, alpha-lipoic acid, niacin, and certain types of mushrooms. High blood sugar can have negative effects on nerve function as it produces a chemical by product that causes oxidative stress. Oxidative stress can be nutritionally managed by antioxidants such as Vitamin E, Essential Fatty Acids, and Glutathione. However, the main priority is to maintain healthy blood sugar.
Vitamin B12 is important in the maintenance of health and normal functioning of the nerve tissue and deficiency of it can lead to numbness. You can increase B12 level by taking meat and fish, or you can take Inj methylcobalamine 1500 mcg alternate day. [6 doses]

Some useful suggestion,
Apply a warm or cold compress to reduce burning or tingling.
Remedies such as breathing exercises and meditation may also help reduce stress-related symptoms such as numbness and tingling.
Stop smoking and drinking alcohol as this can exacerbate nerve damage.
Protect yourself from the cold and extreme weather conditions.

I hope that I have answered your query. Let me know if I can help you further.