What activities should be avoided while having an inguinal hernia?
User rating for this question
I have an inguinal hernia on my left side. It started after we moved in April and has gotten progressively worse. Now there is a bulge that appears fro time to time and it is getting harder to push it back. I live in Boston and want to have the surgery when I return there in 3 weeks. 1. What activities do I avoid? golf? biking? stairs? 2. Is there something I can wear that puts pressure on the area to prevent the bulge?
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. 1. You should avoid any physical activity which increases the pressure in the abdominal cavity. Do not lift any heavy objects, avoid biking, jogging, stretching. Do not push hard on stool. Put your hand in the lump area and press it when coughing. 2. There are some hernia belts. But if its about inguinal hernia, this belts seem to be ineffective. So the best you can do is to have a surgery. Before the surgery please be aware of symptoms like abdominal pain, gas and stool obstruction, bloating, nausea, vomiting. If any of this symptoms will appear or if the lump will become hard, painful (hernia stuck), emergency surgery might be necessary. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: What activities should be avoided while having an inguinal hernia? 1 minute later
SO GOLF IS OK?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 0 minute later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: yes, golf seems ok.
People also viewed
- Symptoms of complicated pancreatitis
- Symptoms of complicated acute pancreatitis
- What exercise reduces inguinal hernia
- Symptoms of groin area cramp
- What is the right treatment for inguinal hernia
- Exercises to avoid with an inguinal hernia
- Smoking cigarettes after a c section
- What activities should be avoided while having an inguinal hernia
- Symptoms of hernia injury
- Sternal wire removal after cabg
- Foreskin removal after circumcision toddler
- Symptoms of supraumbilical hernia
- Reduce cholestrol after delivery
- Things to avoid during an inguinal hernia
- Clarithromycin after conception