What activities should be avoided while having an inguinal hernia?
User rating for this question
I have an inguinal hernia on my left side. It started after we moved in April and has gotten progressively worse. Now there is a bulge that appears fro time to time and it is getting harder to push it back. I live in Boston and want to have the surgery when I return there in 3 weeks. 1. What activities do I avoid? golf? biking? stairs? 2. Is there something I can wear that puts pressure on the area to prevent the bulge?
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. 1. You should avoid any physical activity which increases the pressure in the abdominal cavity. Do not lift any heavy objects, avoid biking, jogging, stretching. Do not push hard on stool. Put your hand in the lump area and press it when coughing. 2. There are some hernia belts. But if its about inguinal hernia, this belts seem to be ineffective. So the best you can do is to have a surgery. Before the surgery please be aware of symptoms like abdominal pain, gas and stool obstruction, bloating, nausea, vomiting. If any of this symptoms will appear or if the lump will become hard, painful (hernia stuck), emergency surgery might be necessary. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: What activities should be avoided while having an inguinal hernia? 1 minute later
SO GOLF IS OK?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 0 minute later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: yes, golf seems ok.
People also viewed
- Where is the pleurx catheter tube placed
- What is the cause for frequent urination and abdominal pain
- Twinge in right groin lower abdomen
- Which treatment should be given for tinnitus
- Lower abdomen and sharp pain groin
- Swolled hard abdomen male
- What exercise reduces inguinal hernia
- What is the right treatment for inguinal hernia
- How many teaspoons of lactose should i take for constipation
- Exercises to avoid with an inguinal hernia
- Hard swelling lower abdomen
- What could be the cause pain all over the body
- What activities should be avoided while having an inguinal hernia
- Gripey pain left abdomen
- Things to avoid during an inguinal hernia