What a few burr cells and poikilocytosis mean?

Hello, Please explain what a few burr cells mean as well as poikilocytosis moderate. My gfr is always low as well, 1.003 to 1.004 as well as co2. Thank you!
Posted Tue, 17 Dec 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 10 hours later
Brief Answer: gfr and rbc abnormalities Detailed Answer: Hi, Red blood cells when seen in microscope appear round to oval in shape. But there shape can change in disease states . Burr cells sre red cells where the wall show round outpouchings . These can be seen in patients of kidney disease , due to high urea and creatinine levels. But as such they do not contribute to disease process. Poikilocytes are rbc of different shapes and sizes seen in severe anemia from blood loss or iron deficiency and other vitamin deficiency. Such patients should be investigated in detail to find the cause especially if hb is less then 11gm/dl. Gfr is reported as ml/ min and normal is > 90 ml/ min. Your comment kn reading being is not clear ( 1.004). I think this may be the specific gravity of urine which can be less if there is very dilute urine. This can occur if you drink too much or have a renal failure. Kindly see your serum creatinine level as this is the single most important marker of kidney function. Hope this helps. best wishes.
Follow-up: What a few burr cells and poikilocytosis mean? 7 days later
Thank you!! I just came back from my nephrologist, after reading through my past test results, he thinks I may have a mild acidosis. My specific gravity is typically from 1.003-1.004, this information comes from the past ten urinalysis tests. I am having low bp with fast heart beat when standing. Usually 95/60 with hr anywhere from 120-150. I am feeling extremely tired, anxious, muscle twitching, loss of appetite and constipation. I also have a lot of stomach pain. I take sodium bicarb about once a week and my heart rate drops dramatically. I feel that I have a ph inbalance that has been brushed off for the last nine months. My last electrolyte panel showed chloride 114. Sodium 138, potassium 4.2 and co2 21. The Dr. Today ordered urine tests for na, k and cl. He does not feel there is a strong chance of acidosis but wants to be sure as my urine ph has come back at 8.5 a few times. I'm scared because I feel terrible and my breathing is very shallow now. I've gone from 160 to 140 and can't gain any back. Thank you so much! Sorry my gfr is <89 at times and 62nb sometimes.
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: acidosis is diagnosed by ABG testing Detailed Answer: Hi, Low BP of 95/60 along with tachycardia can reflect low body volume ( dehydration), or a low cardiac function ( unrelated to kidney disease per say). Your GFR was below 90ml, early kidney disease can have acidosis. Acidosis is diagnosed by checking the BLOOD pH by ABG ( arterial blood gas testing ). if pH is less than 7.4 like 7.3 or 7.2 then you have to take soda bicarbonate to keep bicarb level at 24. You should not be scared all medical problems have a sound reason and treatment accordingly. Shallow breathing can have many reasons apart from acidosis. Please discuss with your treating doctor and he will help you. Thanks, best wishes
Follow-up: What a few burr cells and poikilocytosis mean? 19 minutes later
Thanks for your reassurance! So how do I tell my Dr. I want an ABG? Does the Dr. do it or at a lab?
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 5 hours later
Brief Answer: abg is a blood test Detailed Answer: Abg is a bloof test done in hospital labs and icus it is an automated machind and takes 10 minutes to do. You can ask your doctor that please confirm if I have acidosis. Best wishes
Follow-up: What a few burr cells and poikilocytosis mean? 19 hours later
Thank you, I feel better with your information as the dr's I see are too busy to explain.
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Ok Detailed Answer: bye
Follow-up: What a few burr cells and poikilocytosis mean? 2 days later
Hi Dr. Bansal, Im taking 1 5/325 norco per day for stomach pain. It's been 3 weeks and is the only thing that helps. Do you think this will make my stomach pain worse? It's mild gastritis but doesn't feel mild at all. I'm also taking zantac. Will 1 per day make me dependant?
Brief Answer: narco is addicting Detailed Answer: I don't consider regular use of narco as a long term solution for the problem. It can be addictive also. You should discuss with your physician for the cause of this pain. If it is just acid peptic disease ( gastritis ) zintac is a mild medicine. You can use pantoprazole for the same. . Detailed examination is important to find the cause. You will be fine!