Went through an elective coronary stent procedure. Taking medicine. Are these drugs affecting the gout condition?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi Doctor, I am a 39 year old male. Few days ago I went through an elective coronary stent procedure. Now I am on the following drugs ,Coplavix (Clopidogrel/Aspirin) 75 mg, Tritace (Ramipiril), Atorvastain (APO) 40 mg. I do have a family history of coronary conditions.

Previously I did have gout and was controlled by managing my diet. Just after I stated taking the new medication I have had a gout attack and finding it very painful.

How do I address this issue? Are the cholesterol reducing drugs affecting the gout condition and if so, what should be my next steps.

Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Lipid lowering drugs like statins are likely to cause rhabdomyolysis which precipitates gout. Atorvastatin is safest of all statins as it has a tendency to lower the uric acid levels too.
You can consult your cardiologist and consider taking other cholesterol lowering agents like:
* Bile acid-sequestering resins
* Ezetimibe
* Fibrates (such as gemfibrozil)
* Nicotinic acid
Avoid consumption of alcohol, seafood and meat.
Taking a diet XXXXXX in vitamin C, dairy products and coffee is likely to help in improvement of symptoms.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Went through an elective coronary stent procedure. Taking medicine. Are these drugs affecting the gout condition? 31 minutes later
Thanks Doctor, If I take any medication for gout will it affect my Cholesterol level, are there any safe options that you could suggest? Also does this lead to a need to review my liver health as these issues could be related to the liver.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Medications for gout are not likely to affect your cholesterol levels.
Taking anti inflammatory medicines will help but you should get these prescribed from your physician.
Taking Vitamin c supplements will help in relieving your symptoms.
You also need to get your liver profile evaluated as liver functions might also be affected by these medicines.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.