Went off the pill. Trying to get pregnant. What are the chances of getting pregnant?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi, ive been on the pill (Triphasil, Nordette and then Oralcon) for quite a few years, went off about a month ago and are trying to get pregnant. How long does it take to work out of your system and would I be able to get pregnant now already?
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 53 minutes later
hi,

hormonal contraceptive pills act by inhibiting ovulation,
when you stop the pill it will take sometime for ovulation to return,
the time taken can be few weeks to few months,
sometimes you may ovulate in the immediate next month after stopping the pills or sometimes it may take up to 6 months also,
it also depends on your menstrual pattern before starting the pills, if you used pills for irregular periods or ovulation etc that may repeat after stopping the pills also.
so if you stopped the pills one month before there is chance for pregnancy if your ovulation returned in this month.
you can track your ovulation with kits
and if you are suspecting pregnancy better take urine or blood test for pregnancy once.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.