Went off birth control pills, hasn't got periods. Suggest?

my granddaughter is 22 years old and she went off her birth control pills 7 months ago. she still hasn't got her periods. she has seen her doctor but has not got a answer. she has not been with anyone.

my email address is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to find the cause first ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand your concern for your grand-daughter, but you need to know that we need to find the exact cause for such drastic menstrual irregularities, only after that can we direct treatment; so I shall start by listing the most likely causes:
-Sudden weight gain or loss
-Stress and anxiety
-Thyroid or pituitary abnormalities
-Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
-Strenuous exercise
-Uterus abnormalities
-Premature ovarian failure

Taking your grand-daughters age and history into consideration, these are the most plausible causes. You may discuss the same with her doctor or write back to me for any further guidance. Please be patient ma'am, there is always a cause for any presentation in the human body. Once the cause is found we can successfully manage the conditions.

Best wishes and god bless.
Follow-up: Went off birth control pills, hasn't got periods. Suggest? 21 hours later
what is PCOS, uterus abnormalities & premature ovarian failure??
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
All conditions explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

I would gladly explain these conditions to you.

1. PCOS: Polycystic ovarian syndrome is a hormone-dependent condition which results in the formation of multiple small cysts in the ovaries, ultimately resulting in their increased size. Symptoms mainly include: menstrual irregularities, hirsutism (excess hair growth on different parts of the body), weight changes, etc.

2. Uterus-related abnormalities: This is a category that includes various conditions under it. Conditions like fibroid uterus, which is an abnormal growth within the muscle layers of the uterus; polyps in the uterus, which is an abnormal growth in the tissue resulting in a projection from the normal tissue layer; etc. All these conditions have one common symptom of menstrual irregularities, but also have other symptoms

3. Premature ovarian failure: As you must know, the ovaries slowly start losing their function after a certain age, resulting in menopause. But when this occurs at an early age (i.e. before 40 years of age), then this condition is called premature ovarian failure

I hope I have succeeded in explaining things in the simplest manner. Please feel free to write back to me if anything is unclear or if you have any more queries.

Best wishes ma'am.