Went for blood donation. Vein not found and noticed discolouration from elbow to fingertips. What's wrong?

My daughter attempted to give blood to the American Cross today and the person doing this never found a vein but continued to push the needle further in and kept moving it around. Now her arm and hand is a shade of light purple and from the elbow down to the fingertips are very cold. She is worried that something is wrong. Is there anything to worry about?
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
It is an irony that your daughter is suffering because of a good cause.
The discoloration is probably due to bleeding in the skin due to inadvertent punctures of the blood vessels and would resolve in two weeks without consequences.
But the accompanying coldness is intriguing, it may be due to puncture of the brachial artery which can form a clot or may go in spasm.
You should consult a physician just to make sure that artery is not affected and the circulation is not hampered.
If this is ruled out then nothing is to worry about.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!