Weight loss, loss of appetite, increased heart rate. What is it?

Ve not been able to sleep for one week now I am loosing weight ad can't eat my heart keeps racing fast ad I am always unhappy ad loosing al my weight I force myself to eat but can pls whts wrong wit me?
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 35 minutes later
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Sudden weight loss, loss of appetite and increased heart rate are seen in overactive thyroid condition. I wonder if your symptoms also suggest the same.

I suggest you to visit your physician and plan to get your thyroid hormones assessed. Perhaps you may want to consult your endocrinologist in this regards for immediate actions.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have further queries.

Follow-up: Weight loss, loss of appetite, increased heart rate. What is it? 26 minutes later
Don't u tink is depression? I only get this heart racing when a certain name comes to my mind don't u tink is depression? I drink only alcohol can't eat at all am very worried ad don't no wht to do
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 3 hours later
Dear friend.

Thanks for reply.

Depression can explain sleeplessness and weight changes. However increased heart rate (tachycardia) is found in anxiety. I am not sure if you have anxiety issues too.

That being said, depression, anxiety and other psychological conditions can be considered only after organic medical conditions are excluded. In your case since overactive thyroid is a possibility, it is pertinent that you see your specialist, run biochemical tests and exclude thyroid dysfunction.

Also please remember, depression itself does not come on its own. Some underlying cause is always there.

Besides that excessive alcohol can damage your liver and cause digestion - appetite issues. Therefore a visit to your doctor and evaluation will be worthwhile.

Hope you will be fine soon. If you have any other query please let me know.