Weight loss, doing surya namaskar, walking at normal speed. Does vigorous exercise cause stomach bloating?

Hello Doctor,

I observe that 45 minutes to 1 hour of moderate or normal speed walk reduces my weight faster. The same is observed when I do SuryaNamaskar.
This is in comparison to vigorous exercises , running,jogging etc...

I also observe that when I do some vigorous exercise my tummy gets bloated. Can you please throw some light on this?

Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Exercise
Answered by Dr. Radhika 4 hours later

If you do Suryanamaskara you will surely lose weight than other form of exercises. This is because it is one of the best form of exercises that increases your flexibility and also stretches your muscle and triggers weight loss.

It reduces fat thereby helping to control obesity and metabolism of the body. 45 min to 1hr of walking or moderate exercises is equal to Suryanamskara.

It also detoxifies every organ in the body. It is an ancient system of yoga where 12 different Asanas are present.

You are also complaining that your tummy gets bloated after vigorous exercises. There are many causes for this.

One of them is when you engage in vigorous exercise, blood is moved away from your intestines and out to your extremities. This will impair the digestive process, which can lead to bloating if you have eaten too much, too soon before working out.

There will also be water retention as the result of an imbalance in the amount of salt in your blood. If you have been drinking too much water or not enough salt, your body reacts by retaining water. This leads to bloating, often in the abdominal area. It could be that you have a tendency to retain water, particularly if you sweat out a lot of salt when exercising.

To avoid digestion issues, eat a full meal at least 3-4 hours before working out to allow for proper digestion. Include mostly carbohydrates and some protein in your meals, and eat slowly. Avoid consuming caffeine, aspirin, high doses of vitamin C, carbonated drinks and foods with high amounts of fiber, sugar or fats.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.