Weight loss, abdominal pain. Colonoscopy normal. History of polyps removal. Advice?

Ive had a 50 lb weight loss since february with no known explanation. My MD can't find anything abnormal in lab values colonoscopy was normal with removal of a couple of polyps in October. Now I'm experiencing a loss of appetite and a mildly annoying pain in my mid abdomen almost resembling hunger pains but they persist after I eat
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 26 minutes later

thanks for posting your query.

As I understand it, you are a 55 year old male with polymyalgia rheumatica in remission and on appetite and mid-abdomen pain unrelated to eating. Your lab work-up and colonoscopy are normal and during the procedure, a few polyps were removed.

It could be due to malabsorption. I would suggest you take over the counter pro biotic pills/drinks along with a B-complex and an acidity pill for 15 days. It will help nourish the good bacteria in your intestine.

Also eat easily digestible energy XXXXXXX foods like soya milk/tofu, yoghurt, and soups. Avoid milk and milk products if you feel your symptoms increases after taking them.

If you do not improve, please see your doctor again to rule out any upper intestinal and abdominal problems not detected on colonoscopy.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please get back if you have any follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.