Weight in front, pain from skin touching skin, ripple-like lesions, painful. Please help

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm 64, 4'7" & weigh 257. Most of my weight is in my front. I get very pain pain from skin touching skin. And I'm getting ripples like lesions on front and sides. It is getting very painful and don't what to do. I have seen 2 doctors which keep referring me to others.The pain is getting unbearable & don't what to do. Please help.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 8 hours later
Hi there.

Do you have any 'pimple or blister-like' lesions on your skin which is sensitive ?

Are you on any medication ?

Do you have any known allergies to food, drugs etc. ?

Since you are a diabetic, there is a possibility of nerve damage which is causing this severe pain of the skin. It is called peripheral neuropathy.

You will need to keep your Diabetes under control. Measure your blood sugar regular and get your anti-diabetic drugs adjusted to make sure your blood sugar stays within normal range. If the blood sugar level is not under control there is a high chance of progression of nerve damage as well as eyes, heart and kidney damage as well.

Kindly consume a diet XXXXXXX in proteins and fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink 1-2 litres of water a day. Do daily brisk walking for 40 minutes as this will release natural pain killers into your body called endorphins and also help you to lose weight. Get 6-8 hours of sleep daily. Do Yoga for stress relief which will also aid in weight loss.

If the pain is due to nerve damage from Diabetes, a medicine called Pregabalin is available in combination with Vitamin B12. This can be taken twice a day provided your kidney functions are normal. This medicine will eradicate pain which may be due to nerve damage.

It would be best to consult with a Dermatologist to have a look at your skin lesions and make the right diagnosis and provide specific treatment for the same.

Kindly do reply to my queries for me to be in a better position to help you.

Wishing good health..

Follow-up: Weight in front, pain from skin touching skin, ripple-like lesions, painful. Please help 11 hours later
I have been to dermatologist, Family doctor. One thought it might be macerated intertrigo, hx/o psoriasis. I noticed that that the last several months that I have had no strength at all. My legs and feet have also been swollen too. My weight just keeps going up and I'm not eating that much. My abdomen seems to get larger. Maybe that why the lesions? I am weaker and weaker, not able to do things as before. These lesions are red, puffy and very painful. Then there is my skin touching skin. I also don't sleep at night. I take tylenol but does not help much. Any more suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 20 minutes later
Hi there.

Thanks for your reply.

I can understand your concern. It is difficult to lose weight in the beginning but gradually with moderate exercise everyday, there will be promising results. Try to take help with a loved one or caretaker to help you follow a healthy diet and exercise regime for best results.

Avoid oily, fatty and junk food. They are known to decrease energy levels and make you feel weaker. Also diabetes which is uncontrolled can make you feel very weak. So keep your blood sugar under check always with proper diet and monitoring with the help of a Dietician.

Intertrigo probably best fits your symptoms you have mentioned that the skin touching skin areas are red and puffy. The reason for this is uncontrolled diabetes, obesity and accumulation of sweat. There will be antecendent fungal infection if the lesions are long standing.

The solution to this for now will be to apply creams containing zinc oxide like Sudocrem or Balmex. Also apply an anti-fungal agents like Clotrimazole 1% ointment. Apply both these agents on the affected areas 3-4 times a day for 3 weeks.

Use cotton clothes. Keep your body clean and dry. Avoid accumulation of sweat on the body. Do daily brisk walking to reduce weight which will cause more chance for cure. Avoid lying down in one position for long as this can cause skin pressure and maceration.

I hope I have answered your query.