Weight gain and irregular periods. Are they related?

I been gaining weight a lot lately. I don't have a regular menstrual cycle. I been having terrible back pains. does my menstrual have to do with my weight gain?
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Irregular menstrual cycles with weight gain could be occurring due to a metabolic imbalance in the body often called polycystic ovaries. This imbalance causes irregular cycles due to hormonal imbalance in the body. It needs to be confirmed with blood test and ultrasound.

Check your thyroid levels as well as prolactin levels also.

Medical treatment is available and widely used. Along with medicines, diet and exercise is important. See your doctor for the tests and medicines.