Weight gain after childbirth, tiredness, weakness. Suggest diet plan

Dietitian & Nutritionist
I am struggling with the post delivery weight gain. I am unable to reduce it. I have done lot of things to reduce my weight. I have followed even lot of diet also. While I was in diet, My body body becomes very tired and I am becoming weak often. Unable to perform my own tasks. COuld you please suggest me a diet plan to overcome my problem.
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Diet Plans
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 24 hours later

Post delivery weight gain is a very common problem. A rapid weight loss effort, sometimes results in compromised nutrient intake causing fatigue and weakness. A good diet plan is the one where all the nutrients are taken care of in a balanced way.

The first and the most important step towards weight loss is to improve the basic metabolic rate, which in turn would ensure that you burn more calories every minute. Consider the following for achieving the same:
•     Exercising
•     Building muscle by increasing your intake of protein and moderate weight training
•     Increase your water intake to at least 3 liter daily
•     Have 6-7 small meals through the day
•     Black coffee and green tea do help in burning fat
•     Increase your intake of fiber in the form of vegetables, salad, whole pulses and cereals and fruits with the skin.

In addition the following pints would be beneficial:
•     Avoid foods XXXXXXX in fat or sugar and the refined foods like refined wheat flour, provides more calories. It is advisable to limit the intake of these foods in the diet.
•     The saturated fats like ghee, vanaspati, cream and butter do not qualify to be a part of your weight reduction diet plan. Vegetable oils are much safer when taken in controlled quantities. Limit the oil intake and completely avoid taking the deep or shallow fried foods.
•     Fibers are the insoluble parts of the plant food sources. Since they are not digested in our gut, they remain to be there for longer time and do not make us feel hungry. The fiber XXXXXXX foods like beans, green leafy vegetables, whole grains and cereals, fruits and vegetables are found to be helpful in losing weight.
•     Limit the intake of sugar, cream, cakes, chocolates, candies, sweets and restrict rice intake to once per day, preferably for lunch.
•     Choose the low fat dairy products. Include low fat curd in daily diet.
•     If you eat non – vegetarian foods, stick to leaner options of fish and chicken and avoid egg yolk. Red meat and organ meats are also not suggested.
•     Include antioxidants in your diet. A liberal intake of fresh fruits and vegetables would provide its sufficient quantities. Also include green tea in your daily routine as this helps in boosting the metabolism.

Since you felt weak and tired during the previous diet programs. It is advised that you focus more on a balanced and healthy eating plan so that just sufficient calories are taken for routine activities while maintaining the weight loss routine.

Here is a sample Diet Plan for you:

Early Morning:
Green tea (sugar less) – 1 glass

Non fried preparations like:
Whole wheat bread without butter – 2 slices
Vegetable poha/ Dalia/ Sevian/ upma - 1 cup
Idli 2pc. With Sāmbhar – 1 cup
Cornflakes with skimmed milk (less sugar) – 1 cup
Stuffed chapatti (oil free )- 2 no. with dry vegetable – 1 katori

Fruits (avoid the carbohydrate XXXXXXX fruits like mango, sapota, grapes, banana, custard XXXXXXX and watermelon also avoid fruit juices and fruit milk shakes).

2 chapatti + sabji 1 katori + + dal – 1 katori + salad 1 katori + 1 glass thin butter milk or 1 katori skimmed curd.

Evening Snacks:
Tea / Coffee (less or no sugar) + high fiber bis. OR Sprouts / roasted channa 1 katori

2 chapatti + vegetable 1 katori + skimmed buttermilk 1 glass + salad 1 katori.

Hope this would help.