Weight gain. Is this a sign of pregnancy or something else?

Mar 2013
I am a 49 year old white female. My weight has increased over @ a 2-3 month period from 110-115 consistantly to @ 143 lbs. It is abnormal for me. I am most likely NOT pregnant, but will check on that today. Any Ideas ?
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: POSSIBILITIES LISTED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. At 49, pregnancy is not the first thought that would come to my mind, but yes, do rule that out, as it is simplest to rule out - a simple test will tell you . The other possibility is that as age advances, most people do experience a gradual increase in weight, if they are not vigilant. I hope you follow a dedicated fitness programme and eat sensibly, because in the 40s, the metabolism is not what it is in the 20s, and it is far easier to gain weight than lose it, or even maintain it at a steady state. This could be compounded by work stress, late nights, erratic eating, alcohol, skipping breakfasts etc. Stress and lack of sleep are two major unrecognized culprits for stealthy weight gain. The next thought is that the medicatins you take for Bipolar, ADHD and Anxiety - these too cause weight gain. This is the major side effect of this category of medications. Also, thyroid hormone imbalance can lead to weight gain, so have an assessment of your thyroid, calcium and vitamin D levels - all 3 are interlinked. Please get your renal and liver function tests done also - sometimes these disorders too can cause weight gain. Hence, I would advise the following work up - 1. Complete physical exam - blood pressure particularly, as raised blood pressure can lead to water retention and weight gain. 2. Gynecological exam 3. Complete blood count, thyroid hormone estimation, liver and kidney profile tests, calcium and vitamin D levels. I hope this answer helped you. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: Weight gain. Is this a sign of pregnancy or something else? 1 hour later
Thank you. My life is constant "body in motion". Although swiped from an Arthritis Rx advertisement, I live by " A body in Motion tends to stay in motion, A body at rest tends to stay at rest." With a background in Personal Training, my playing field is my own 10 acres of woods, landscape, and river banks ... Endless potential. That's why I don't " get " the new weight. I will finally (maybe) give consideration to Menoppppp ... can't quite say it yet. I do have a minor history with Thyroid during late teens. My meds have not been an issue to date. I haven't had any significant adjustments in years. Always a consideration. My yearly CBC is due this month. Again, Thank you !! .... I appreciate your time. Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hey ! Good to hear from you. Am pleased to come in touch with such a dedicated, fit and unique personality. More cheers to you and your activity , which is a way of life with you. Am sure then that that cannot be a reason for weight gain with you. Yes, do have the recommended bloodwork, maybe that will show up something. To confirm menopause ( or perimenopausal transition ) which might start a few years earlier, I might add to the list of blood tests - Get your FSH LH Serum estradiol checked. This will show you where you stand with regard to the dreaded M ! And let me assure you, for a fit and brisk personality like you, Menopause too will be what it actually is - a phase, that will beautifully smoothen out and pass. Do feel free to write back and discuss whenever you wish to. You can contact me directly using the following link anytime WWW.WWWW.WW God bless and wish you good health !
Thank you for sharing in my humor ... I have always walked, ran, fallen down, and stood up stronger thanks to my great friend, The almighty ... Caroline's sense of humor ... It's a great perspective in almost every aspect of life .... Cool, right ? It was nice to read your words that " M" is just a phase ... roll with it ! .. Just between you and me ... SHHH !! ... I've been in the " Peri-cause " for @ 5 years.. It's been fine ... I like to sweat anyway .... The funny thing is that when I returned to PA in 1992 from California, I had reason to consult with a Neurologist. He is a very nice man, is good friends with my Step-Father. He is no longer with Lancaster Neuroscience .. Relocation. Anyway, I loved this guy ... He even tried to teach me to meditate ... It didn't work at that time because he stood about 3 inches from my closed eyes " UMMMMMMMM-ing " and telling me to breathe, relax, ??? .... I kept busting up laughing and so would Dr. B. Longer rather than my intended shorter, Dr. A., He had once told me that menoppppp... would be a very horrible experience for me !!! REALLY ?!? ... Who says that to me at the age of 27 ??? I'm pretty sure that I said something like ... OK .. I'm very certain that that would be the best response. I could have spent over 20 years freaking out about it. Afterall, Dr. B. was seeing me for a few things to include severe headaches, panic/anxiety, and a dash of depression. Who knew ?? Okay, I'm gonna go get my hair-cut ... Thank you, again !! Stay in Touch ... XXXX
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: TAKE CARE Detailed Answer: Hi ! Am glad I connected with somebody with such verve and joie de vivre this side of the solar system ! Yes the perimenopause could lead to weight issues, to answer your earlier query. It can be managed for sure with your pragmatic and fun approach to the game of life. Do stay connected you too, YYYY@YYYY Ciao.