Weakness, unable to drink water, have blockage of blood supply to brain. Reason for major attack?

Nov 2013

My uncle is hospitalized yesterday for an emergency at Kamineni hospital after he complaint about weakness and was unable to drink water (since his mouth muscles were acting). Today the doctor informed us that there is a blockage of blood supply to brain which is causing the problem. also doctors there will be carrying out 2D echo scanning today.
I wanted to know what could be the reason for such a major attack also can you brief me about the cautions that we need to take during my uncle's stay at the hospital?
Posted Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic.
Based on the description of symptoms of your uncle, it seems to be a case of brain stroke. The location of blood clot may be in the brainstem (back part of brain), which controls the swallowing (as you have mentioned about the swallowing difficulty your uncle has faced).
The condition can be diagnosed with the help of brain scan (MRI, MRA brain).
We then need to find out the risk factors for the brain stroke, such as diabetes, high BP, cholesterol, heart problems, etc. These risk factors, if present, should be treated.
He may also be started on blood-thinners such as aspirin, depending on the type of stroke. Physiotherapy, including limb exercises, will need to be continued.
With these treatment measures, your uncle can gradually recover.
Please get back if you have any more queries.
With best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad