Weakness, parasites in stools, irritable bowel, gastro problems. Treatment ?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I usually go to toilet 1-3 times a day but one week ago after going to toilet many times a day and feeling literally exhausted I have found strange stringy jelly objects 10-15cm long 1mm wide , quite resistant because my stool was hanging by that, they clot easily and lose their string form, but with a lot of patience you can bring em back to string form, in my stool that according to hospital parasite test are not worms, but come from my body. what can it be? I have pictures. 39yo 164cm often easily irritable bowel, and gastrointestinal complaints. I feel very weak lately that is very hard to face a single day. Thanks
WWW.WWWW.WW WWW.WWWW.WW WWW.WWWW.WW WWW.WWWW.WW WWW.WWWW.WW
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Tapan Shah 3 hours later

I have gone through your description and the images but I would like to know few more things as this would help me in suggesting you better:
1. Are you a Vegetarian or a non- vegetarian?
2. Do you have any other complaints other than this?
3. Do you suffer with any diagnosed medical conditions?
4. Do you smoke or consume alcohol?
5. Does any of your family members have similar symptoms?
6. May I know the diet taken on the previous day?
7. Any other investigations done like X-ray or Stool reports or Ultrasound scan of the abdomen?

Please do write back with the answers to the above questions as this would help me in suggesting you better.

I would like to provide you with specific suggestions after knowing the answers to the above questions.

Awaiting your response.

Regards.

Follow-up: Weakness, parasites in stools, irritable bowel, gastro problems. Treatment ? 1 hour later
Hi, thank you very much for your answer, here follow the answers to your questions:

I am not vegetarian
My complaints are: fatigue, dizziness, sleepyness, unable to concentrate, since years at different levels, lately a lot.
IMPORTANT: It's being years (5 at least) that I have the liver enzimes high (50-120) AST,ALT,GGT, and I do not drink alcohol.
Stomach(gastritis) I had in the past and lately much more.
Insomnia at periods.
Due to my past problem with the burnout to which followed anxiety thats why I take paroxetin I think doctors 'label' symptoms with 'depression',
but trust me, I am not sad or depressed, I just feel sick, and when I dont feel so tired I am the happiest person in the world.
anxiety/depression
4. Do you smoke or consume alcohol?
I never smoked and I dont drink (1 beer a month may be)
my mother (78) had a surgery (intestin resection) 3 months ago for diverticulitis
I dont remember well, the evening I had lentels with bread.
the day before I went to toilet 5 times at least with creamy stools (that also happens now and before that)
I tried to think but I dont remember eating anything with that shape.
Also I saw those objects thursday a lot, friday , saturday and a bit on sunday
The stool report did at hospital here in holland where I live now with the samples in the pictures. I had over the phone the response thru my doctor, and he said that they are not worms but something coming from my body.

Thanks very very much Doctor

Answered by Dr. Tapan Shah 6 hours later

Thanks for the information.

To me it seems mucus in stool.
Mucous in the stool can be caused by infection ( candidiasis and other infection), inflammatory bowel disease, malabsorption or chronic pancreatitis, amongst other reasons.

I would consider a colonoscopy at this point, as well as stool tests to look for malabsorption. Blood tests can be done for celiac disease or pancreatitis.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Weakness, parasites in stools, irritable bowel, gastro problems. Treatment ? 4 hours later
Thanks Doctor for your reply.
Last comment from my side.
Mucus! I am surprised that it has that shape and it is really like a string,
also if you clot it together it can go back to its original string form,
it does not merge&mix on itself like oral mucus as you can see in pic IMAG1798.jpg.
Is intestinal mucus like that? as you can see in some picture like a tiny cable?
(and with that white things you see on one.)
It's really a particular material! (today I uploaded a few more pictures)
If you tell me that mucus looks like that and come in strings immerged in stool then I have to trust you!
Anything else it might be in your experience?
Or you are pretty sure it is mucus?

Thanks!
Good Luck

Answered by Dr. Tapan Shah 2 hours later
Hello again,

well, on the look of stool and the shape and the description, it exactly fits as mucus.

Yes mucus is not just the secretion but the inner layer of intestine, that sheds with some infections.

I can't for sure say that its 100% mucus but I think there are fair most chance that it is mucus only.

Thanks and Regards,