Weakness, heart racing, chills, high pulse rate. On loestrin for peri menopause symptoms. Should I visit a doctor?

I am a 47 year old healthy woman and I felt cold and week. I could feel my heart racing and I took my heart rate from my heart monitor I use for exercise and it said 143. I just started taking lo loestrin for peri menopause symptons. Should I call my doctor?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Yes, you should call your doctor and fix an appointment at the earliest for evaluation.

Heart racing or rhythm disturbances can be due to various reasons as dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, drug effect, hypertensive patient, anxiety.

You have been taking Loestrin that can cause increase in blood pressure and thus rapid heart rhythm.

Avoid smoking and taking caffeine drinks as that can further contribute in increasing the symptoms. Do not take stress and avoid anxiety as it can further increase the heart rate.

You should consider visiting your treating Physician for evaluation of blood pressure and if required change in the medication.

If at any point of time you feel chest pain, faintness, nausea or significant shortness of breath then consider visiting Emergency Room for immediate evaluation.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept the answer in case you do not have follow up query.