Weakness and numbness in the leg, difficulty in walking. Surgery done for ligament rupture. Normal MRI. Advice?

Neurologist
Question
i fell down from stairs on 5th XXXXXXX 2010 which resulted in left leg ankle ligaments rupture.got plastered for 8 weeks..later in 6th week my left leg went numb and it got weak..went to neurologist on 6th week and plastered was removed on urgent basis ....neuro told its neuroprexia..since then my leg is numb though going for regular physiotherapy and medicine prescribed by my doc... thrice i went for emg n ncv ...everything is shown reduced....MRI OF MY BACK is normal ..... nothing seems wrong.....but still leg numb and cant bear weight n walk.....went to n no. of neurologists but nothing is working...Pls help..i ll be thankful...does it really take so much time to heal...
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 17 hours later
Hello

Regarding the weakness and the numbness of the leg when a patient is on a plaster indicates compression of the peripheral nerves supplying the limb. Probably this is due to high pressures in the compartments of the leg which hamper the blood supply to the nerves and cause pressure injury to the nerves.

Most of the times this is a temporary problem and recovery often occurs in 3-6 months time. The presence of reduced parameters on the good physiotherapy. Take multivitamin supplements to accelerate the nerve recovery.

I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern and I hope you can find yourself in better health soon with the help of your neurologist and physiotherapist.

I thank you again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. I you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Weakness and numbness in the leg, difficulty in walking. Surgery done for ligament rupture. Normal MRI. Advice? 58 minutes later
thanks for answering .... i just wanted to know that does it really take so much of long time to recover??? why the healing is so slow?

is there also possibility that my reports do show improvement but i dont feel much improvement..its numb and weak all the time.... that really happens that reports r getting normal but i m still in prob???

even i heard few patients whose all mri n other reports are all normal but still they have numbness and weakness ...why is it so??

I ll be thankful for your reply.

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 56 minutes later
Thanks for reverting back.

Regarding the recovery in neurological problems, it usually takes a long times like few months to years sometimes. MRI and other relevant investigations pick up the changes only when the problem is beyond certain limit. For example, peripheral nerve damage can be picked up only if is damaged by more than 50%. Every investigation has limitations in the field of Neurology. Hence, clinical history and examination scores over the investigations like MRI.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist