Weakness, abdominal pain, nausea and spotting after abortion. What's going on?

post abortion complicationI'm a 21 year old female that had an abortion the 3rd of October, 2013. I experienced intense pain durring the procedure that the doctor said was unusual. I experienced terrible cramping for the next 2 weeks and was forced to stay in bed and was prescribed narcotics for the pain. I eventually started feeling a bit better but never stopped bleeding. Ive had sex twice since the procedure and each time caused me to get really sick and made the bleeding worse. When I get my period (or what I assume is my period) I go through a super tampon every hour. Currently my symptoms are extremely weakness, abdominal pain, nausea, and spotting. I went to the hospital finally and the doctor didn't seem to have knowledge in this area and concluded I had abnormal bleeding of the uterus. I have no idea what's going on with me now and left the hospital just as confused as before.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The pain in the lower abdomen after an abortion is likely to be due to a pelvic infection. The irregular and heavy bleeding that you are having can be related to mild retained products in the uterus or a hormonal imbalance causing dysfunctional uterine bleeding.
You need to have an ultrasound scan of the lower abdomen to detect the exact cause of this pain and bleeding.
In case there are no retained products in the uterus then hormonal treatment like oral pills will help you. You need to consult your gynecologist for proper guidance and treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.