Weak, lack of apetite, mental confusion, in digestion. How can this be solved, advise?

I do not have appetite. I feel weak and have mental confusion. I am not digesting foods very well. Sometimes I feel like i am floating. I feel slow at everything i do.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 5 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     46 year old female
•     Complaints of: Decrease appetite, mental confusion, poor digestion, slowness of activities and feeling that you are floating.

From symptoms it appear that you are having depression. Your age is 46yrs which is considered as perimenauposal period for a woman. In this lots of hormonal changes occur in the body, which itself or stress related to these changes can lead to depression.

I would like to consider multiple possibilities in following hierarchy in your case:
•     Perimenauposal hormonal changes: Get consultation from gynecologist.
•     Depression: Irrespective of cause it need to be evaluated by detailed interview by psychiatrist
•     Vitamin deficiency: Get serum B12 level. Start multi vitamins as they are easily available.
•     Thyroid related problem: get thyroid hormonal assay done
•     Neurological problem: less chances

Apart from above advice following simple measures will help you:
-Decrease worrying about symptoms as they will cure after treatment.
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet.
-Daily morning walk and breathing exercise.
-Spending time in activities which you like.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Weak, lack of apetite, mental confusion, in digestion. How can this be solved, advise? 12 hours later
I am definately not depressed. I am very happy and content with my life. My physical body is just so weak. I neglected to inform you of a couple of details that I forgot. I have been sick 4 times in past 8 weeks with only couple of weeks left to be well. I lost 20 lbs in 6 weeks from a diet that I was on. I am into natural health and i eat very healthy. I was regularly running long distance ( my last marathon was 10 miles last year) I have not been running in past 6 months. I am not a vegetarian but i used to be many years ago so I take vit b12 already. I just finished doing a kidney cleanse which I am concerned has made matters worse. I feel trembly inside and feeling frail. I can not do much and have to lie down often. I do have thyroid issues but they are not extreme and I am currently dealing with it. I have had them for awhile. the medical field does not acknowledge that I have a thyroid problem so I know it is not a huge issue.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Hello again,

As I told there is multiple possibilities in your case. With new information following steps will help you:
-first cause of your symptom is possible perimenopausal hormoanal changes. This is primarily due to change in estrogen level. So get it measured.
-Rapid weight loss (20lbs in 6 week) is also harmful for body. Avoid any diet which cause weight loss rapidly.
-As you already had some thyroid problem so it is better to checked thyroid hormonal level.

Wish you good health.