Weak hair, breaks easily, lacks volume, scalp visible. Taken Autrin for six months post delivery. What more can I do?

Jul 2012

I am 29 years old. Have a 2 year old son. My hair is medium length long, straight and very silky but very less in volume. (my hair in childhood was very long and thick. My problem is that now my hair is very weak and breaks easily. If I pull a fallen hair strand in the opposite direction, I find that there is no elasticity and the hair breaks immediately. My hair is not strong and lacks the volume. The scalp is also visible due to scanty hair. I have already taken Autrin Iron - uptil 6 months post delivery, also took 2 other iron and folic hair medicines prescibed by the doctor till now. I am also oiling it regularly. But pls suggest what more can I do. I want strong hair with a good volume.
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 32 minutes later
Hi there XXXXXXX I understand your problem & will attempt to suggest a few things to help you on your way. But, honestly these hair issues are 'sticky issues' to deal with online. It is best to go across to XXXXXXX a dermatologist in person, assess the 'type' of hair loss & /or do a 'hair analysis test' before one starts treatment. But , in your case am sensing a difficulty in time/constraints in either goin to or other issues prohibiting a visit so will suggest a few simple measures & have a couple of queries.
Is this hair loss/thinning aggravated post delivery? Are there other stressors in your life currently vis-a-vis family/monetary/spouse issues? Was any hemoglobin test done or iron estimation prior to starting therapy? Are your periods heavy or excessive bleeding/clots? Are you feeling tired/weak towards the end of the evenings? Is there some sort of swelling/thyroid issues in the cetre of your neck?
Is your sleep disturbed? Are you a vegetarian or non-vegetarian?
For the moment, Remember:
Do Not handle your hair often or tie it up tight as in a tight plat
Use a broad-toothed comb & avoid combing more than once/twice//day
Avoid shampooing more than twice/week (any shampoo used currently will do)
Dont massage/oil your hair daily if you feel the lustre is fine
Pick up a 2% or 5% minoxidil solution/spray from your local chemist & concentrate on the area on top of your head (centre) & use it on dry scalp twice/day (no relation to bath)
Please get bck to me answering my few queries & shall take this further. Also you may want to indicate which region you hail from so i can hopefully point you in the direction of a dermatologist in your area. In case you cannot, no issues, this advice shall stand you in good stead either way. Do continue to take those vitamins for a further 2-3 months & do a hemoglobin/total iron & TIBC (iron binding) blod tests when time permits to assess your progress.
Good Luck & here's wishing you a head full of hair..cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD Dermatologist & Cosmetologist, XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India.
Follow-up: Weak hair, breaks easily, lacks volume, scalp visible. Taken Autrin for six months post delivery. What more can I do? 11 minutes later
Thank you your previous advice. Please find answers to some of the questions you raised -

Yes hair thinning is more after delivery, not falling in large nos but thinning. My life is very hectic. I get up at 6 am in the morning and sleep only at 12 in the night due to job, travelling, baby, etc. i have done a thyroid test last month as suggested by my mom (she is a pathalogist) and the same is negative. My periods are normal. I do feel tired at the end of the day and have no energy to get up in the morning. I am a vegetarian and do not eat even eggs.

Pls suggest.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 48 minutes later
Hi there XXXXXXX Thanks for answering those queries. My previous advice still stands regardless. You mum is a pathologist so i shall take it a step further & ask you to do a 'peripheral smear' in addition to a Hb test to further ascertain the type of anemia & treat accordingly. I note with interest you are a strict vegetarian (i am exactly the opposite :) ) hence, i suggest the services of a dietitian (alternative:google) once you have ascertained if & type of anemia & eat more of the foods/fruits et al that you are fond of & used to. I may add that at this juncture, 'Brocolli' is an excellent source of vitamins & gr8 for the hair & nails (only veggie i am fond of)! If your periods are normal, then please do consider stopping iron if Hb (hemoglobin) levels are fine & go with a diet XXXXXXX in nutrients that promote hair growth. Also, there may be a case for deworming..please take a single stat (one time) dose of albendazole 400mg as often this (helminthiasis) pre-empts nutrient uptake from the GI tract!
Dont worry you just seem in need of a little reassurance as hair loss post partum (delivery) et al is common as is the stress coupled with the hectic schedule you maintain. Do try to eas up a bit & i always recommend a good sound sleep & go in for a vacation sans baby (if your spouse is up for it)..relaxation & taking a step back may just be all that is required. Please do use the minoxidil lotion for 3-4 mths & the entire package will see you with a thick head of hair soon. Do hope your spouse is party & included in the destressing regime always helps to have a considerate spouse.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD Dermatologist & Cosmetologist, XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore