We have consulted a doctor and she has prescribed Tab

Question
We have consulted a doctor and she has prescribed Tab Duphaston (10 mg) twice daily. Could you advise us of its purpose and if it has any side effects in long-term. We would really appreciate your advice on this.
Posted Mon, 27 Nov 2017 in null

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Decreases risk of miscarriage.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Duphaston is synthetic progesterone preparation. The purpose of progesterone during the first trimester is to "mimic" the function of something called the corpus luteum. It is a cyst that produces progesterone during early pregnancy that helps to 'maintain' the pregnancy until it reaches a certain point where it can survive on its own. This is usually about 10-12 weeks.

You can get her blood progesterone levels measured and if these are found to be below normal, then she can continue taking Duphaston.
It has minor side effects like gastro-intestinal disturbances, skin rashes , loss of libido, acne, fluid retention, mental depression etc.,
Duphaston should be avoided in cardiovascular, renal or hepatic impairment, diabetes mellitus, asthma, epilepsy and migraine.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal