Waxy bump on leg, hard, not painful. Could it be dangerous?

Question
I have had a waxy bump with the size of a lentil on my leg for more than two years. Could it be dangerous? It is quite hard to the touch and it is not painfil.
Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 2 hours later

There are no reasons to panic, because from your description I can already exclude melanoma.

However, I cannot exclude basal cell skin cancer, because this appears as a pearly or waxy bump, grows slowly and is usually painless.

I would recommend you to go see a dermatologist and he will check your skin and look at the size, shape, color, and texture of the bump. If he thinks you might have skin cancer, a piece of skin will be removed and sent to a lab for examination under a microscope.

You should not worry because not all skin changes are caused by skin cancer, more than that, most of the skin changes are not caused by skin cancer. But you should consult a dermatologist just to be sure.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD

Follow-up: Waxy bump on leg, hard, not painful. Could it be dangerous? 36 minutes later

Thank you.
What happens if basal cell skin cancer is the case? Is this a life threatening situation, providing that I have had this for quite a long time?

Thanks for your reply.

There are several effective methods for eradicating basal cell skin cancer, like Mohs micrographic surgery, excisional surgery, curettage and electrodesiccation, radiation, cryosurgery, photodynamic therapy, laser surgery and topical medications, based on the type, size, location, and depth of penetration of the tumor, the patient’s age and general health, and the likely cosmetic outcome of specific treatments.

In extraordinarily rare cases of metastatic basal cell skin cancer or locally advanced basal cell skin cancer, this cancer can become XXXXXXX sometimes even life-threatening, but I am sure it cannot be your case, you should definitively have other symptoms too.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD

Follow-up: Waxy bump on leg, hard, not painful. Could it be dangerous? 3 hours later
Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 1 hour later
No problem.

Any time at your disposal,

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD