Watery yellow mucus substance produced from anus, passing gas, stool blockage, taken Imodium, no blood

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi, since last Thursday, I have been producing this watery yellowish/light brown mucus substance from my anus when I go to toilet. When I sit on the toilet, all I do is pass gas and this substance comes out. Sometimes a small bit of light brown faeces comes out it has white mucus around it (I am not sure if this happens every time a bit comes out as today was the first time I checked the faces.) I am not even completely sure if the substance is mucus but when I wipe, it looks watery on the tissue and there are a few very small bits of faeces/mucus on it. When I look in the toilet, it sometimes floats on the water and looks a bit oily; it looks like diaherroa sometimes but it isn't. Other times it just mixes in with the toilet and makes the water look a slightly different colour. I have smelt the tissue after I wiped and it just smells like diluted faeces if that makes sense. I can feel a stool up there but it isn't coming out. Since this has been happening, I have been eating more fibre, drinking prune juice and drinking more water but it hasn't helped. I am also passing more gas throughout the day. I am worried that I might have damaged something because about 2 weeks ago, my stomach became bad only during the nights and I was going to toilet twice a night and the stools were a bit loose and watery but I took 2 imodium tablets and it cleared up. I was constipated for a few days and my anus felt tight and every now and then became a bit itchy and sore (this sensation went away within 5 minutes) but I thought it was the imodium so I changed my diet and everything was fine.

Apart from the things mentioned above, I feel perfectly healthy. I go to toilet once a day or every other day, usually in the morning and my bowels feels empty. I am in no pain before, during or after my bowel movements or during the day and there is no blood. I haven't lost my appetite and I do not feel bloated or in pain after I eat and I have full control over my bowels. I do not smoke or take drugs and I am not on any medication. I am still a virgin and haven't engaged in any sexual activity before. I can do everything I have done before but I am just worried it is something serious.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 29 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 4 hours later

Thanks for the query. I shall try to give you some useful information pertaining to your query.

From the description given in the first paragraph, it appears to be just a mild infection or dysentery.

I am pleased to know that you are following a good and healthy diet. If you do not have any other associated symptoms and all is well as described in the second paragraph, I feel nothing needs to be done and you don't have to worry at all.

Usually mild infections settle down in a week or two with healthy diet and good fluids. In case symptoms worsen or if the problem recurs, then it would be advisable to get a proctoscopic examination done by a surgeon.

Hope I have addressed your concern. Let me know if you need any more help.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

With Regards