Watery right eye, paralyzed lips. Is this early sign of stroke?

I feel like having a right eye slightly watery and right side of my lips not closing as good as left side. Is this an early sign of a stroke?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 12 hours later

Thanks for the query

From the details provided to me it looks like you are suffering from facial paralysis on the right side. Most likely possibility in you is Bell's palsy. In view of vascular risk factors like high cholesterol and blood pressure in you one has to also consider the possibility of stroke in you. In the absence of weakness of the limbs possibility of Bell's palsy is high on the cards. Neurological examination will differentiate between Bell's palsy and facial palsy in stroke.

So I personally request you to see your Neurologist as early as possible to exclude the possibility of Stroke in you. Even without any treatment, Bell's palsy tends to carry a good prognosis.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist