Watery eyes, sneezes, coughs. Mother took pepto bismol for cold and breastfed. What can be done now?

My 2 month old has watery eyes and sniffly nose and sneezes some, coughed a tiny bit this morning. Do we ride it out or go to walk-in clinic? (my hubby and I both have cold/stomach bug). Also, can I still take pepto bismol even though he's breastfed? What about nighttime cold pills?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one in I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

Honestly at this point supportive measures would be advised. I do not think you need to visit any clinic right now to assess your child. This is most likely a minor degree of inflammation of the nasal and sinus passageways which could be allergy or possibly related to a viral infection. Your child has a immune system which is generally capable of taking care of these minor types of things. no need to give any supplementary medication at this point. I would continue to monitor things for now. If for some reason the symptoms worsen and are persistent beyond the next three or four days or if your child develops fevers or chills then I would consider visiting with a physician but right now things seem very stable.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative.

If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert