Watery eyes, blocked nose, shortness of breath, dry cough, headaches regularly. Help?

ENT Specialist
I would like to ask if the symptoms I have are connected somehow to hay fever .
My eyes are watery and my nose is blocked and runny , I am short of breath and I have a dry cough. I feel quite week and I have headaches almost every day
Thank you
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. These are symptoms of Allergic Rhinitis.

2. Hay fever is a subset of Allergic Rhinitis pertaining to allergy triggered by plant pollens. Headaches may signify Sinusitis.

3. Request your doctor to start a two eek trial with an anti-histamine, anti-leukotriene, a steroid nasal spray and regular steam inhalation. Other supportive medication such as decongestants, mucolytics, cough syrups and medicated mouth washes may be added.

4. There is no cure for allergy, however it may be controlled by avoidance, medication and desensitisation.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.