Watery diarrhea, abdominal pain. Ultrasound normal. Abnormal eosinophil count

I have never had GI issues before these past 2 weeks. Started with sudden completely watery diarrhea then 4 days later no further diarrhea but sporadic severe mid upper abd pain abd u/s , abd CT are normal. labs (CMP, amylase, lipase, crp) are normal. CBC is normal EXCEPT my Eosinophil count is 18.
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 15 minutes later

In view of symptoms possibility of gastroenteritis seems likely.Generally cause is bacterial or viral infection. Sub-clinical infection can have normal routine lab reports.Stool examinations can be undertaken, if not done already.

Since diarrhea has stopped and you have only sporadic pain, its very likely that you are in stage of recovery.The pain is likely due to residual intestinal mucosal inflammation causing pain during a peristaltic wave of intestine. This should also resolve soon.

I think you should give it few more days and it's very likely that symptoms will resolve.

Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.
Follow-up: Watery diarrhea, abdominal pain. Ultrasound normal. Abnormal eosinophil count 7 minutes later
Thank you. That is my own doctors plan as well.
He said he would proceed with a HIDA scan if pain continues. However, Gastroenterologist thinks it may be a spasm at the esophageal/stomach juncture.
Pain occurs 1-4 hours after anything hits stomach that needs digestion ( not water or juice)

I was thrown off by the elevated Eosinophil count.
Any thoughts on that?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 11 minutes later
Elevated eosinophil count is not specific for anything.It just represents inflammation or infection.

I guess for time being you need to wait and watch.Mostly your symptoms will resolve and you might not need further investigations.

Follow-up: Watery diarrhea, abdominal pain. Ultrasound normal. Abnormal eosinophil count 3 minutes later
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 4 minutes later
You're welcome.Please take out some time to post a positive review.