Watering right eye, massage therapy, watering while watching TV, vision problems ?

Question
Hello Doctor I am really worried. My 2.5 year old's right eye waters whenever he watches TV. We have taken him to a few docs that told us a 'massage' therapy.. but that doesn't seem to work!! (or works only temporarily) His eyes become watery only when he watches TV - all other times, they are normal.. could there be a vision problem here.. thanks for your advice!
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 1 hour later
Hi! XXXXXXX

There may be few reasons of watering of the eyes while watching television in your child.

1. This actually may be a symptom of "dry eyes".
Watering is a natural reflex caused primarily due to irritation of the eyes. Other symptoms that could be associated with dry eyes are scratchy, dry, irritated or generally uncomfortable eyes. Sometimes redness, a burning sensation, or the feeling of having something in your eye may also occur.

Staring at the television monitor for a long time can make the eyes dry and irritated. Thus results in watering. Infants do not blink at the same rate of adults; in fact infants only blink at an average rate of one or two times in a minute.

Normally Dry Eyes occur in post-menopausal women and elderly. It is rare in infants. 'Nutrition assessment is entailed in this context'.

2. Strain on the eyes while watching television could be a factor that is making his eyes water.

The following recommendations are often advised while watching television to avoid strain on the ophthalmic muscles.
a.     Have additional lighting in the viewing area. The contrast between the bright screen and surroundings should be minimum to avoid undue strain. Soft indirect light should be used while making sure that no light is reflected by the screen towards the viewer's eyes.
b.     The ideal distances for TV watching should normally be seven times the size of the TV screens. A good rule is that the minimum distance should be at least 3 metres. In general, a large screen permits more comfortable viewing because it gives a clear vision. However, a large screen in a small room is not recommended.
c.     The TV and the viewer should be at the same level. Children often watch TV while sitting on the floor or lying in bed. This may result in fatigue of the eyes and the neck muscles.
TV should not be watched for long hours at a stretch. It should be interspersed with rest periods away from the set to avoid strain.

3. Vision disturbances have to be ruled out.
Every child between the age of 2 to 3 years becomes much active and interested in the things happening around him.

At this stage, does your child keeps playthings or books very close or far from the eyes; narrows his eyes while looking at the TV, or other objects at a distance; strikes against objects while walking or has difficulty in finding things in dim light?

If your answer is yes to one of aforementioned symptoms, then a a thorough check-up of the eyes is warranted.

I hope my answers were both informative and adequate to you.

If you have any clarifications, I am available for follow ups.

Follow-up: Watering right eye, massage therapy, watering while watching TV, vision problems ? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. Pandya,

My child does not do any of this - keeps playthings or books very close or far from the eyes; narrows his eyes while looking at the TV, or other objects at a distance; strikes against objects while walking or has difficulty in finding things in dim light?

So are you saying that this problem will get resolved on its own? If yes, how long will it take?

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 8 minutes later
Hi!! XXXXXXX

Welcome back and thanks again.

A cure is related to the cause.

With proper nutrition the infant and avoiding too much television, your child should outgrows this problem. You may give more Vitamin B Complex, Vit A and Vit E to the infant. Discuss regarding these nutritional supplements with your pediatrician. A proper diet containing good amounts of fruits, vegetables, meat, fish and so on need to be given.

If persisting, 'Dry eye syndrome' needs to be ruled out by physical examination. Consult a competent ophthalmologist then.

Wish you and your child a good health!!