Water with urine, splashed on anus post flushing, no blood. Hepatitis B contractible ?

I used a private toilet bowl to defecate directly after someone I knew well had urinated in it. I neglected to flush before using it and some water with his urine spashed up into my anus area. I saw no visable blood in the bowl before using it. Could I contract Hep B from the splash of diluted urine?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 53 minutes later

Contact of urine to the intact skin that too a momentary contact is least likely to spread the infection of hepatitis B, even if the person is suffering from hepatitis B.

There is no risk of transmission of Hepatitis B or any other STD in your case. In fact there are no cases reported to have transmitted infection through this mode.

A person gets infected only when the other person in question, in fact is ‎infected with Hepatitis B, and has very high titres. ‎‎Though, the risk of infection by just contact of urine is comparatively ‎very less.

The possibility of transmission is remote.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Water with urine, splashed on anus post flushing, no blood. Hepatitis B contractible ? 1 hour later
Would I be correct in assuming that because the urine was diluted in the toilet bowl water as well as seeing no visable blood in the water that there was really no chance of contracting HEP B, even though the splashed water came in contact with the mucous membrane of the outer opening of my anus? The fact that the mucous membrane was involved is what worries me. But I did read on the internet as you said there are no documented cases of contamination by this mode.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

The outer part of anal opening does not contain that vascular mucosa. One has to insert at least 1-1.5 cm inside the sphincter to come in contact with actual mucosal membrane.

There is no reason to worry.Definitely I would reassure you by saying that there is no chance of infection transmission this way.

Wishing you an early recovery.
Follow-up: Water with urine, splashed on anus post flushing, no blood. Hepatitis B contractible ? 4 hours later
I am sorry to belabor the point but unless there was visable blood in the toilet water any possible Hep B virus that might be in the toilet water through urination would be so diluted that it would not be in sufficient amount to infect even if a small amount of the toilet water did reach the anal mucosal membrane. Some
reputable internet websites do not even list urine as one of the bodily fluids that
can infect with HEP B. They mention blood, semen, vaginal fluid,saliva, etc. but say that even though urine may test slightly positive for the hep B antigen, it does not contain enough of the virus to infect unless of course it is mixed with VISABLE
blood. And then it would be the blood that would be the infecting agent, not the urine. Is this basically correct. I realize I have a problem with this whole thing and am seeking psych. help. but for me now the devil is in the details. I am trying very hard to give this over to God and not worry but its difficult even though I'm sure
our God does not want me to agonize over such things. I pray every day for the strength to overcome this problem but your expertise helps very much at least in the short term. Thank you for your patience. God is good.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

Do not worry , there is very minimal chances of you getting infected.

Yes, your information is correct and urine is not an infecting agent for Hepatitis B. If the urine is mixed with blood then only it can transmit the infection.

Feces, nasal secretions, sputum, sweat, tears, urine, and vomit have not been implicated in the spread of hepatitis B.