Water retention,skin disorder,flu-like symptoms,red bumps all over body,severe body ache,nausea,headache,fever,chills,sensitive and burning skin,face hot,blood test normal

Question
I am 44, female, 5'5", 170 lbs. My history: I rarely get sick but I do have a water retention and underlying skin disorder, but I woke up on Saturday feeling bad - like an onset of flu-like symptoms. Within hours I was covered with red bumps which started on my chest and back and spread to cover from head to toe. My overall symptoms were severe body aches, massive headache, chills, fever, nausea, red bumps and highly sensitive skin that sometimes burned to the touch, shaking from chills, and I could not sleep. I went to the E.R. and all my blood tests came back just fine. The Dr. said he had no idea what was wrong, but told me what it wasn't - meningitis, shingles, measles, etc. - yet I am still suffering these symptoms. He gave me an anti-nausea dissolve-pill and an anti-inflammatory shot and I went home. He told me to take a regiment of Benydryl, Tylenol and Advil on a 4-6 hour basis. I am still suffering and now my face feels very hot...anyone have any ideas?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 59 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your query,

The symptoms you mention make me suspicious of a viral fever , since the Measles which often presents this way is been ruled out, I think of the Influenza virus being the likely possibility here.

These infections are self limiting needing no specific treatment , only when with severe symptoms symptomatic treatment involving anti-histaminics like Benadryl and anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen can be employed.

To ascertain the fact about having the viral fever there are no reliable tests available except Platelet count which is most of times reduced due to viral infection.

The above medications will surely help you , the disease symptoms will exist for 7 to 10 days for sure could only be brought to some extent by above medications.

If the symptoms get more severe then you my be needing cover antibiotics as the viral infections are known to reduce the immunity to some extent making you susceptible to bacterial infections.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Water retention,skin disorder,flu-like symptoms,red bumps all over body,severe body ache,nausea,headache,fever,chills,sensitive and burning skin,face hot,blood test normal 51 minutes later
The Dr. I saw said he thought it was some kind of viral thing and he also said I should just ride it out for 4 to 8 days, but he ruled out the flu because of the red spots all over my body. I have had the flu before, I can honestly say that I never had the chills to shaking violently like this had be do three times (all at night).

Do you need more information about my history?
Follow-up: Water retention,skin disorder,flu-like symptoms,red bumps all over body,severe body ache,nausea,headache,fever,chills,sensitive and burning skin,face hot,blood test normal 5 minutes later
Will soaking in an epsom salt bath be helpful?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 minutes later
Hi again,

Thanks for following me up,

It would be helpful if you can describe the rash in detail or even mail me the images to YYYY@YYYY .

I will surely advice on the Epsom salt bath once i get a clear idea about the rashes and the possible virus involved here.

Will wait for the information.

Follow-up: Water retention,skin disorder,flu-like symptoms,red bumps all over body,severe body ache,nausea,headache,fever,chills,sensitive and burning skin,face hot,blood test normal 7 minutes later
I have sent the picture. It is faded due to the flash of my camera/phone.
Follow-up: Water retention,skin disorder,flu-like symptoms,red bumps all over body,severe body ache,nausea,headache,fever,chills,sensitive and burning skin,face hot,blood test normal 46 minutes later
By the way, the rash is hot and I think I have another fever.

When this rash first occurred it was made up of little red dots near each other. Now it is starting to become large hot, red masses.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 23 minutes later

I had a look over the images.

I still do consider them to be caused by viral infection, to be specific i would consider the Dengue as a possible cause of such typical rashes and symptoms which you have.

I suggest you to get a platelet count and Dengue IgM test done.If its done in the earlier set of test i would ask you to wait for another two days and repeat the test.As some delayed test responses are common in Dengue.

Wishing you Good health.