Water filled blisters on the inner thigh, reddish on rupturing. What are these?

I have water blisters on the inside right thigh where my leg meets the crotch. Once they are ruptured they are red and about 2/8" wide. First appear as watery bumps. What might this be?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
According to your description it seems to be impetigo or folliculitis.
Impetigo is caused by streptococcus (strep) or staphylococcus (staph) bacteria. It presents as a single or many blisters filled with pus which are easy to pop, filled with yellow or honey-colored fluid and oozing and crusting over.
To confirm the diagnosis we need to do a culture sensitivity of the discharge from the bump. If it is folliculitis, impetigo or boils, it will come out positive on bacterial cultures. Systemic antibiotics are needed fro treatment.
I would suggest to get yourself examined by a dermatologist for proper diagnosis. Meanwhile keep the area clean, do daily dressing, apply antiseptic ointment like neosporin and take a mild pain killer like ibuprofen for inflammation.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Water filled blisters on the inner thigh, reddish on rupturing. What are these? 2 hours later
The description you gave ... do I have to go to a dermatologist, or can I see my family Doctor. I was wondering if this condition in any way indicates it might be an STD. Thanks for your feedback.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

You can see your family doctor also for the required treatment. It is not likely to be an STD (Sexually Transmitted Disease). This is most likely a bacterial infection.

Taking general cleanliness measures will help in preventing the relapse.

Hope this answer is helpful.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.