Water coming out of nostrils and mouth in night. Lungs are clear. Drinking lot of water. Any ideas?

Cardiologist
Question
Hi Dr. Last night I woke up in the night with water coming out of my nostrils and mouth. It seemed as tho I had been swimming. Ithis happened before about 6 months ago. My lungs are clear; I go to the Dr. On a regular basis. I do drink alot of water. Any answers?
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology. I read your mail with diligence. Mouth and nose are common outlet and usually bring out the same thing.
You probably have allergies - allergic rhinitis, allergic sinusitis or both. These will cause your nose to run---sometimes all the time. Sometimes I feel 100% fine and I lean over and fluid drips from my nose.
If you have associated fever or watery discharge becomes bad and gets really annoying, go to your doctor. They can tell you if you need to be on antiallergy medicine such as Allergra, Claritin.
It is such a common condition, that I am sure most people have experience this at least once in their lives.
Good Luck! And DON'T WORRY SO MUCH
With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Water coming out of nostrils and mouth in night. Lungs are clear. Drinking lot of water. Any ideas? 21 minutes later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX ..thanks for answering...it's not discharge it's water!! Like a faucet running. is it still allergies?

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later

Only other source of water or water like substance coming out of nose and at times mouth is cerebrospinal fluid(CSF) the fluid in the brain fluid spaces. That is quite serious condition csf rhinorhea as result of head injury or surgically induced accidental injury; to stretch imagination further would be reverse peristalsis of stomach water. In both these conditions it is watery fluid containing many invisible particles. Yes, reverse peristalsis is a possibility but very very uncommon. Not have gag reflex choking sensation goes against it. Whereas, rhinitis/sinusitis produces water like fluid clear with particles in it, not so uncommon. As it wakes you from sleep you get feeling of drowning. Phlegm is too thickish seldom like expectorant never without cough is fourth and last possibility. Therefore, on law of probability the diagnosis was made. A careful physical examination and analysis of fluid if there is sample of it will solve the dilemma. Regards.
With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Water coming out of nostrils and mouth in night. Lungs are clear. Drinking lot of water. Any ideas? 42 minutes later
Ok I'm confused...I'm not sure what u r saying being in medical language...can u please put in simple terms so I can understand...

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 13 minutes later

I am extremely sorry about the technical language.
We were discussing watery substances which can come flowing down to your nose.
One is though the roof of nose that is from the fluid leaking from the holes in brain the brain fluid is called cerebrospinal fluid or CSF. That is not likely in absence of injury.

The other two openings the nose and mouth is connected to (apart from outside) are your stomach and food pipe. Where instead of going down the water comes up. The second one is your lungs though a your larynx and bronchus, the fluid from there is phlegm is relatively thick. So we narrowed down to sinuses and nose as the source of fluid. To reiterate 4 places liquid or watery substance can come to mouth and nose from:
1. Brain fluid through the holes in the bone which forms the roof of nose.
2. Sinuses which drain into nose
3. Stomach which connects to mouth and nose through food pipe
4. Lungs which connect to nose and mouth through larynx or voice box

I hope I have corrected my mistake.
With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW