Was using Nuvaring, am pregnant now. How is it possible ?

May 2013
I just found out I am pregnant and was using the nuvaring (and have been for the last couple of years.)

How is it possible to get pregnant with this form of birth control?
Is it possible it was an old ring (expired)? or
Can heat affect its potency?
Posted Wed, 13 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later
thanks for the query.

nuvaring is a hormonal contraceptive in the form of vaginal ring.
Which should be inserted once a month, should be in place for 3 weeks then to be removed for one week.
It is said that by regular use it will give full protection.
but it is having 1% failure rate with perfect use and 1 to 2% failure rate with typical use.
Means even with proper usage there is 1% chance of failure rate means chance of getting pregnancy.

the contraceptive efficacy will decrease if the ring is expelled or if it is outside the vagina for more than 3 hours in first 3 weeks.

While using the ring you have to take annual clinical review with your doctor.

the expiry date of nuvaring will be mentioned on its package, it will be normally 40 months.

novaring should be stored at room temperature preferably at less than 30°C. Excessive heat may affect its efficacy.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.
take care.
Follow-up: Was using Nuvaring, am pregnant now. How is it possible ? 9 hours later
Do certain medications and/or vitamins and supplements affect the efficacy of the nuvaring as well? If so, which ones?

thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later

Contraceptive efficacy of Nuvaring can be affected by,
anticonvulsants like carbamazepine,
antibiotics like ampicillin, rifampicin, metronidazole,
antifungal like grisuofulvin,
sedatives like benzodiazepines,
antacids like ranitidine, analgesics like diclofenac,
vitamin E preparations.

if you want to know complete list go to below link and search 'drug interactions'.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please accept it.
take care.
Follow-up: Was using Nuvaring, am pregnant now. How is it possible ? 21 hours later
I am satisfied with your response and would like to accept it, but I cannot find the accept button.

Where is this located?

Thank you...
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Happy to hear that information given by me became useful to you.
you can find the accept button below your answer.

Wish you Good Health.
take care.