Was unable to speak, fingertip got numb. Underlying cause?

today I had an episode where I could not get my thoughts out when i tried to talk. My fingertips also became numb. what could have caused this?
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hypoglycemia/Anemia/LowBP/dehydration/rarely cardi

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Thanks for using XXXXXXX

There are few causes for the symptoms you have presented. I like to exclude the following frequent causes with its management.

1. Hypoglycemia: since you had thought blocking for a transient period and only one episode this may be due to hypoglycemia. Get done your GTT once to rule out the hypoglycemia and maintain regular nutritious food habit.

2. Anemia / hypo tension: In both the case due to decreased nutrient and oxygen supply you may experience the above said symptoms. Get checked for your Hb% and BP at both the arms and in sitting and standing positions. If any problem we can manage accordingly.

3. Generalized weakness / dehydration: Have plenty of fluids and also fruits and vegetables for your well being.

4. Rarely any cardiac cause. Keeping your good past history in mind this is a rare chance. Just get done ECG once to know if any cardiac cause.

For now do some life style modifications:
1. Have good hydration, tender coconut, banana or ORS solution to replenish the electrolytes if any imbalance. With this have only required calories of food distributed through out the day.Have more of vegetables and fruits.
2. Regular every day out door exercise for minimum 20-30 minutes. These will help you.
3. Be stress free, do relaxing techniques like yoga, pranayama etc.Keep monitoring your blood sugar and BP at regular intervals.
If symptoms increases then consult your doctor once for general examination.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well.
Wish you a very happy life and good health.