Was told to have yeast infection, ph paper test was high. Had histerctomy.Taking terconazo. Having stomach ache

Question
I went to gyno yesterday and she said i had yeast infection. she only did a ph paper test and said I had high ph. I had a complete histerectomy 4 years ago. i am a nurse and I thought there is no way to know if you have this using ph paper test as after histerectomy it is not accurate???? I USED ONE DOES OF TERCONAZO;E VAGINAL CREAM 0.8 PERCENT LAST NIGHT AND FEEL AWEFUL, DIZZY STOMACH ACHE. HOW LONG TILL IT IS OUT OF MY SYSTEM? THEN I WILL GO TO DIFFERENT DOCTOR FOR MICRSCOPIC TESTING IF THE SYMPTOMS ARE STILL THERE. THANK YOU
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
After hysterectomy, a change in pH is not an accurate test to detect the vaginal infections.
A vaginal swab culture is a more sure test to find out the type of infection you are having.
Local application of Terconazole shows very mild systemic effects but the effect can persist for 4-5 days. The symptoms that you are having are likely to be due to the side effect of the cream you applied. You need to wash your vagina thoroughly to avoid any further absorption.
Do take an over the counter available antispasmodic and see if there is any symptomatic relief.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Was told to have yeast infection, ph paper test was high. Had histerctomy.Taking terconazo. Having stomach ache 13 hours later
how long do i need to wait to get a swab to get a naccurate result to see if i have a yeast infection. i only used one dose two nights ago??
how long do i need to wait to get a vaginal swab and read under microscope? i used one does two nights ago?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You can wait for 3-4 days more and then go for a vaginal swab culture for proper diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: Was told to have yeast infection, ph paper test was high. Had histerctomy.Taking terconazo. Having stomach ache 2 days later
went to gyno and they said I have bv. I am so sensitive to
medications, that I wonderd if there was a natural cure or an
injection that would have less side effects.I am 56 had historectomy 4
years ago, ave not had sex since then. I noticed some itching no
discharge, burn when urinating. I have no bladder infection. No yeast
infection, They did a probe test for the bv. I am very anxious person
and am very scared. He perscibed Fagyl, I will not take because of
side effects. What shoul I do?? I am a nurse and I am freking out, we
are the worst patient I know. He did a vaginal exam, told me I should
have pap, which I did not think you needed after a complete
historectomy? Then he did the probe testing, which the nurse called
back and said I have bv,over growth of bacteria......

PLEASE ADVICE THANK YOU,
XXXXXX

The antibiotics are the only treatment for bacterial infections. If you will not take proper treatment then the recurrence is quite common in such bacterial infections.
Flagyl and azithromycin are usually recommended for treatment.
You can take some general measures to avoid recurrence-
1.Avoid wearing tight underwear or other tight acrylic garments everyday. Use loose fitting cotton underwear and panties. Avoid wearing jeans, legging, panty hose every day.
2.Stay away from deodorant sanitary pads and tampons.
3.Do not remain in wet clothes for a long time.
4. You can insert tampoons dipped in yogurt into your vagina twice a day. Be sure not to keep them inside for more than two hours.
Regards.