Was this ingrown hair or a dangerous bite? Red, sore spot on leg, swelling, pus after popping. Applied Neosporin.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
About 3 weeks ago I noticed a red, sore place on my leg that became a little swollen the following day.. it came out of nowhere, I have no recollection of anything that would have caused it. My wife felt that it was an ingrown hair that had become infected and wanted to get the puss out.. she "popped" it and it had some puss in it and it bled a little. She immediately put Neorsporin on it and I took a shower an hour or so later.. it's been almost 3 weeks and there's still a XXXXXXX (see attached). My question is: Are you able to tell if this was an ingrown hair or is it possible that it was a bite of some kind that I should be concerned about?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

From the picture that has been attached with this query, it seems to be an insect bite most likely a mosquito bite. Your wife has done a good job of managing it well.

The XXXXXXX that is left now is just a superficial scar of what happened to you.

This will fade off on its own in next 3-4 weeks. No specific treatment is needed for it now. You need not worry at all.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.