Was taken off lortab and put on oxycontin and flexiril. Had back surgery and will go for hysterectomy. Precautions?

Question
My doctor took my off lortab 10/325, taking ten a day. now she has me on oxycontin 30mg 3 day, ultram 50 mg 4 day, flexeril 10 mg 4 day, and lortab 5/500 every 4 hours. (I had major back surgery 4 months ago. now another one is scheduled,and a hysterectomy. Is it safe to take all these mediction together everyday?
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Omer 1 hour later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query.

As you have said that you are female of 31 year old , having major back surgery , now planning for hysterectomy , worried about cocktail of medicine.

Following are the drug interactions of the drugs that you are taking.

tramadol(Ultram) + hydrocodone(Lortab)
Serious interaction so Use Alternative medicine. Tramadol may reinitiate opiate dependence in patients previously addicted to other opiates; it may also provoke withdrawal symptoms

tramadol + cyclobenzaprine(Flexeril)
tramadol and cyclobenzaprine both increase serotonin levels and can cause confusion and vomiting known as serotinin syndrome. Serious interaction so Use Alternative.

cyclobenzaprine + hydrocodone
cyclobenzaprine and hydrocodone both increase sedation(sleepiness). So Monitor Closely.
.

cyclobenzaprine + tramadol
cyclobenzaprine and tramadol both increase sedation. Significant - Monitor Closely.

hydrocodone(Lortab) + tramadol
hydrocodone and tramadol both increase sedation. Significant - Monitor Closely.

oxycodone(oxycontin) + tramadol
oxycodone and tramadol both increase sedation. Significant - Monitor Closely.

I would recommend to revisit your doctor for readjustment of the medicine so that you have few interactions and if you have any of the problems i described , visit ER.

Hope, I was helpful to you.

Feel free to ask any further questions for clarifications.