Was put on Coversyl, BP is normal to low. Was on diabetic medication and lost weight. Suggest?

Question
I was recently put on Coversyl I'm not sure why as my blood pressure has always been normal to low. I was on diabetic medication but have come off it and have lost 50 lbs. since January as well just eliminating wheat in my diet. I keep active swimming at least 3 times a week for an hour...I just don't understand. He also took me off low dose ASA.
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 54 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Coversyl belongs to a family of drugs called ACE inhibitors. ACE stands for angiotensin converting enzyme.
These medications stop or inhibit this particular enzyme and therefore prevent the formation of a particular substance.
There is a similar family of drugs called ARBs.

In addition to its use for hypertension, these medications are also called kidney protective drugs.
This term (kidney protective drugs) is used because they are also used in diabetics to protect their kidneys from any damage related to the diabetes.

They can protect from damage, it damage already exists, they can slow down the progression of kidney injury.

It is possible , since your blood pressure values are normal , that your doctor is using the medication as kidney protection.

You may want to consider speaking to your doctor to find out the exact reason for giving you the medication.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Was put on Coversyl, BP is normal to low. Was on diabetic medication and lost weight. Suggest? 25 minutes later
Thank you for your response that makes more sense. He just didn't say what it was for just that "they" suggest I go on it. New guidelines I suppose. I just hope it doesn't drop my blood pressure or mess it up any.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
HI

I hope so as well, if there is a significant drop in blood pressure he can reduce the dose or stop the medication

Please feel free to ask any other questions