Was prescribed nifedipine. Have swollen ankles after taking medicine. Suggest?

I was just prescribed nifedipine 90 mg once a day. I just too the first tablet this morning. I am having swelling of the ankles. It is Saturday night. Is this serious or something I should wait to take care of?
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should report this to your physician

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for consulting us.
Swelling of your ankles is a sign which should never be left without investigation, as this may be a sign of impending heart failure.
Considering your age & history of hypertension, it is recommended that you should report this to your prescribing physician, as soon as possible. Your doctor will examine you to exclude other clinical signs of heart failure & may advise some tests to ensure the health status of your heart.
Although sometimes this may just represent a side effect of Nifedipine, but, this must be a diagnosis of exclusion.
Hope I have given you the desired information, please feel free to write back if you have any question.
Wish you good health.