Was prescribed Novo-Clindamycin for recurring abscess. Now abscess has returned. Can it be effective?

I have a script for Novo-Clindamycin 300 Mg (Clindamycin HCL) that was given to me by my dentist in Mar of 2010 for a recurring abscess. I can't get into my dentist for a week and abscess has returned, keeping me up at night. Will these older pills still be effective?
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Should be effective; but better to XXXXXXX doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

I can understand how this can be frustrating. I would like to start by saying that clindamycin is an antibiotic and will surely be effective in treating the abscess that has recurred, as long as you are still susceptible to it.

But, I should add that all medications have their side effects, and using any such medications without being under the supervision of a doctor can at times, prove to be harmful. But if I were your doctor, I would allow you to take the same antibiotic, but would prefer to do so only after a physical examination or under my supervision.

I hope I have explained all aspects of taking this medication to you. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.