Was prescribed Metpure for high BP. Now BP is normal. Can I stop it?

I was prescribed Metpure XL 50, my BP was 220-150, my wt 98 Kgs and hight 160 cms. It am taking this for 20 days, now my BP is normal as checked by Dr., Can I stop it completely?
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should not stop the medicine now

Detailed Answer:

I am happy that the medicine worked for you and the BP was normal when last checked. You should not stop the medicine completely.

It requires at least three normal readings at least one week apart (<130/85) for two consecutive months before the dosage is reduced to 25 and brought to minimum gradually.

However my experiences were not positive while doing such gradual reduction of the dose. Never the BP was less than 130/85 for three readings. Please approach your doctor for the above.

Meanwhile concentrate on low salt diet, high fibre diet, weight loss to 75kg. Put at least 40 min of aerobic/cardio exercise per day for 5 days / week. Yoga can help you managing stress and control the blood pressure over the medicine affect.

Let me know if you have any specific concerns.