Was pregnant had missed abortion due to chromosomal abnormality. Will that problem be repeated again?

Mar 2016

Hi Doctor ,

I'm XXXXX. I was pregnant in the month of Oct 2012 & has missed abortion in the month of Dec 2012. I sent the featus for test & missed abortion was due to chromosomal abnormality. I'm now pregnant & have completed 2 months. Will I again face the same problem whcih I had during my first pregnancy ? Please advice.
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

I am very sorry to hear about your previous pregnancy loss due to missed abortion at 12 weeks.

It is seen that near about 10% of first pregnancies end in abortion due to several reasons. However, most common cause of first trimester abortion is chromosomal abnormality. It has no treatment practically and nature tries to eliminate abnormal pregnancies.

It is quite difficult to predict the outcome of current pregnancy whether you will again face the same problem or carry a normal healthy pregnancy. But possibility of abortion can be prevented by following measures:

1) Take prescribed medications like vitamin and folic acid supplements up to 4 months of gestational age. Don't take non-prescribed medicine.

2) Take healthy protein XXXXXXX diet (extra 350 Kcal/ day) with more green vegetables & fruits. Drink more water/ fluid to stay hydrated and improve feto-placental circulation. Maintain genital hygiene properly.

3) Avoid heavy work/ lifting heavy objects/ long journey/ uneven surface/ wearing high heal shoe (risk on fall in ground).

4) Do one obstetric ultrasound scan around 8 to 10 weeks to check overall progression of current pregnancy including fetal well being and cardiac activity. Do other necessary investigations.

5) Try to avoid sexual intercourse in first trimester. Take adequate bed rest 8-10 hrs daily. Do periodic check up to your obstetrician.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen