Was placed into induced coma. Has cancer. Need advise?

My friend is in hospital placed into a induced coma, I found him unconscious at home. He has cancer and Im worried please answer asap
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 51 minutes later
dear patient

the situation is grave. An out of hospital arrest carries high chances of mortality but also permanent neurologic deficit. that is why he was put in a coma state, which I guess involves inducing hypothermia to protect the brain as in most cases . the prognosis to expect will have to be taken day by day, as they wean the sedation and neurology sees how much neurologic function he has

sorry about this situation, keep strong and faithful

Dr brenes salazar md
mayo clinic mn
Follow-up: Was placed into induced coma. Has cancer. Need advise? 2 hours later
how long on average will he be in a coma for? should i let people know if they want to say good bye to him? he was unconscious for 20 mins before being rushed to hospital, I think he was completely unconscious for no more than 30 mins total.
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 4 minutes later
It is difficult to know without all the clinical information, but I can tell you that most of the neurologic status will be evident at 72 hours or so... the longer he was down the higher the probability of poor neurologic outcome... Family should definitely be updated and a family conference should be arranged on hospital day 3 or so to discuss options of care

yours truly

Dr Brenes Salazar