Was operated for Ovarian Cancer. Taking C-Dificile. Has had constant and persistent cough. Suggestion?

My wife recently was operated on for Ovarian Cancer.
She now has(and has had for the past six weeks C-Dificile.
She has had a constant and persistent cough for the past five weeks.
Can you suggest a diagnosis and what she can do to stop the cough ?

Thank You,

Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX
C-difficile can be due to prolonged use of antibiotics after ovarian cancer surgery. Your wife's cough could be unrelated to ovarian cancer, as I presume her all radiological investigations of chest(like x-ray/CT scan ) previous done before surgery are normal.
The reason for cough could be infective or non-infective cause. If it is dry cough, without any sputum production or fever then it is non infective variety. For such cough she can take some anti tussive cough syrup, warm salt water gargling and drinking warm water, avoiding cold food items.
If the cough is associated with fever, productive cough, then it is probably a lower doctor.
Further management of ovarian cancer depends on the STAGE OF OVARIAN CANCER, TYPE, GRADE. And your doctor will tell if she requires any further treatment with chemotherapy to avoid recurrence.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile